Sunday, September 1, 2013

just bein a townie

I'm reminded time and time again of what a cool town I live in. A town I get the chance to call home for at least four years of my life in Athens, Georgia. I've been back in Athens for three weeks now-adjusting to the crazy transition of college life and the weird out of body experience of what it feels like to be an...upperclassman.

These past few weeks, I've gotten to see Athens from all different angles.  I've experienced the age-old tradition of Bid Day, the culminating of sorority rush in a huge SEC school where Greek life and Milledge Avenue are a tradition and a part of life-or at least a part of my life. I saw a movie on a Monday night called The Spectacular Now that was filmed partly in Athens at our local, indie theatre called Ciné-one of many cool Athens venues and places I have been itching to scratch off my bucket list for years. 

I saw famous country star Rodney Atkins and a favorite local of mine, Emily Hearn, play a concert at the Georgia Theatre to benefit Children's Miracle Network, a branch of Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. Friday, I started my internship in the Public Information Office at City Hall in downtown Athens.

I drove to Clemson to tailgate and experience the start of Georgia football this season--my first away game since being in college. Walking around Clemson's campus with orange and purple crowds everywhere, while I enjoyed it, reminded me of how much more I love walking around Georgia's beautiful campus. We endured ESPN's College Game Day and tailgating for 8 hours in the heat and humidity, the pouring down rain, and the hopes and disappointments in our first game of the season.

At the end of the day when the Dawgs lost in a good fight, I was proud to be wearing red and black and happy to be heading back to the best college town on earth. Athens, I love you.













No comments:

Post a Comment